Cognitive Behaviour Therapy For Insomnia (CBT-i)
An evidence-based, 6-session, non-drug treatment for insomnia
Over 50% of adults now complain of difficulty sleeping, half of these chronically. We now know that sleeping pills are not the solution to insomnia and that it is possible to successfully treat insomnia using cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT).
Research on CBT-i shows the following:
- 75% of insomnia patients experience significantly improved sleep
- The majority become normal sleepers
- 85-90% reduce or eliminate sleeping pills
- CBT is more effective than sleeping pills
CBT-i achieves these results because it is based on the idea that insomnia can only be treated effectively by addressing the underlying causes of insomnia – thoughts and behaviours – which are learned and can be unlearned.
WHO WOULD BENEFIT
CBT-i is suitable for individuals:
- With difficulty falling asleep or waking up during the night
- With difficulty returning to sleep after awakenings
- Who wish to reduce or eliminate sleep medications
Techniques taught include:
- Education about normal sleep and insomnia
- Setting realistic sleep expectations
- Behavioural techniques, including stimulus control, bedtime restriction, and sleep hygiene
- Cognitive skills to manage unhelpful thoughts and worries about sleep
- Relaxation techniques
- An initial individual assessment
- 5 individual treatment sessions over a 6 week period
WHO PROVIDES CBT-I TREATMENT?
At Mind Potential Psychology, CBT-i is provided by qualified psychologists with training in delivering the treatment and in treating individuals with sleeping problems.
If you are experiencing sleep difficulties or insomnia, CBT-i treatment may be able to assist. Call us on 5437 7100 to discuss treatment.
Register Your Interest
If you would like more information about Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Insomnia or would like to speak to one of our friendly staff, enter your details below